Natural Home Medicines for Constipation
Revolving Spice Rack Set
Constipation refers to bowel movements that are not frequent and hard to pass. In the condition, the stool is commonly hard and dry and other symptoms include abdominal pain, bloating, or unsatisfactory defecation. Worst conditions may lead to haemorrhoids and other related problems but you can reduce the effects of the condition with natural home medicines at home.
Now, we will discuss how one can treat the most common problem of constipation among people these days with these simple natural home medicines, which are as follows:
If you are suffering from initial state of constipation, take 10-12 Zante Currants (munakke), clean them and remove their seeds. Thereafter, boil these currants in milk (approx. 200ml). Eat these currants every night before going to sleep and drink the leftover milk. This will improve your digestion and helps in easy defecation. In severe constipation, take it for continuous 3 days and thereafter, when needed.
Alternative Medicine 1
Psyllium husk (Isabgol)
Take 10 grams (two tablespoons) of psyllium husk and soak it in water for at least 6 hours. Eat it with water every night before going to bed or you can also consume it with water without soaking it.
Take 5-10 grams of psyllium husk and soak it in 200 ml of hot milk. The husk will get puffy in the milk and the mixture will get thicker. Add some sugar to it and then eat this mixture. Afterwards, drink half a glass of lukewarm milk. If you consume it in the evening, you would experience easy defecation the next morning.
- You can either use psyllium husk by soaking it in water or just consume it with water or milk every night.
- In case of motions or dysentery, you should always consume this husk with fresh curd (yoghurt) or butter milk.
- You can use it with water or milk in constipation and with curd in motions.
- It is a panacea for stomach related problems.
- It is one of the best natural home medicines for motions and dysentery and could be given to a person of any age.
- It clears the intestinal passage and makes it smooth for easy passing of stools and when it enters the intestinal passage it gets puffy and hence helps in excavating faeces from the intestine easily.
- You can consume this husk all your life for healthy digestion because it has no side-effects like other conventional medicines.
Alternative Medicine 2
Consuming 1-5 teaspoons (or as needed) of castor oil in a cup of hot water or milk every night before going to bed, treats constipation and also helps in digestion.
- For adults, 2 teaspoons of castor oil is sufficient and one teaspoon for kids, and
- People suffering from severe constipation can take up to 8 teaspoons of this oil and for others only 30 drops of the oil would help.
- Castor oil is an amazing and safe remedy for constipation.
- It could be consumed by kids and it is even beneficial for kids who frequently spill out milk or vomit just after having food.
- It does not affect your intestine. Hence, it could be safely given to anyone of any age.
- This oil is beneficial for the treatment of constipation, haemorrhoids, eye-related diseases, skin problems etc.
Alternative Medicine 3
Drinking the juice of 2 oranges every morning on an empty stomach for continuous 8-10 days treats worst conditions of constipation.
Do not add any seasoning or ice to the juice and do not eat anything for next 1-2 hours.
Foods that help in treating constipation
- Chapatis made up of wheat and gram flour;
- Porridge (Dalia);
- Roasted grams;
- Spinach and spinach soup;
- Fenugreek leaves;
- Fruits like Guava, Amla (Indian Gooseberry), oranges and fresh fruit juice;
- Clarified butter, milk;
- Zante Currants (Munakke) soaked in milk;
- Dates and Figs;
- Fibrous foods.
Besides the right foods for the treatment of constipation, one shall follow certain rules which are as follows:
- Include raw and seasonal fruits & veggies and sprouts into your diet.
- Chew your foods properly.
- Increase the intake of water.
- Drink copper vessel water in the morning.
- Drink water one hour after your meals.
- Practice yoga asanas or long walks.
- Always eat dinner before sunset.
Foods that worsen the condition
- All-purpose flour and foods made of it;
- Oily, friend and spicy food;
- Fast foods and Sweets;
- Soft drinks, alcohol, tea, coffee;
- Meat, fish, eggs, etc.