Health and Wellness: Jaundice, Symptoms, Diagnosis and Abstinence
Health and Wellness: Jaundice, Symptoms, Diagnosis and Abstinence: Symptoms and Diagnosis
The main sign of jaundice is a yellowish discoloration of the white area of the eye and also the skin, urine also turns dark in colour. Slight increase in bilirubin is best detected by examining the sclerae, which have a particular affinity for bilirubin due to its high elastin content. The conjunctiva(white portion of the eye) is one of the first part of the body to change color as bilirubin levels rise in jaundice. The yellowing of the “white of the eye” is thus more specifically termed conjunctival icterus. The term “icterus” itself is sometimes incorrectly used to refer jaundice noted in the sclera of the eyes. The other main symptoms are yellowing of skin, nails, mouth etc. just like the colour of turmeric, even the urine turns pale yellow, and if there is weakness in the body, lack of appetite, body ache, then person is surely suffering from Jaundice.
In jaundice, the patient’s temperature generally remains 99 to 100 degree Celsius. This disease is caused due to increase in bile in the body (external elements like contaminated water or stale and dirty food also cause jaundice). The patient’s stools also turn white or pale yellow. Lack of appetite, bitter taste of mouth, drying up of mouth, bloated stomach, gas, itchy skin, pain in limbs, fever, weakness are all the common symptoms of jaundice. In severe jaundice, patient suffers with giddiness, severe itching especially in night, headaches, memory loss, and enlarged spleen.
When a pathological process interferes with the normal functioning of the metabolism and excretion of bilirubin is described, jaundice may be the result.
Abstinence in Jaundice
- Ghee or butter, oil, turmeric, red chilli powder and hot spices, pickles, sour foods shall be avoided. Cow’s butter could be taken in a small quantity.
- Black mustard seeds, asafoetida, sesame seeds, jaggery, gram flour, taro roots should be avoided.
- Do not eat oily and fried foods made of gram flour and pulses, cakes, bile causing foods, gas causing foods.
- Do not roam around under the sun, avoid sitting near bon fires, physical exertion, long walks, anger, stress should also be avoided.
- Smoking, alcohol, meat, tea etc. are prohibited.
- Avoid having contaminated water, stale and dirty food, not only to prevent jaundice but also for better health and wellness.
Good and bad foods in the treatment of Jaundice
- Sugarcane juice is very beneficial for jaundice patients. Provided that the juice is fresh and clean. Drink sugarcane or orange juice every morning.
- Fresh orange juice, coconut water or flesh, barley water, pomegranate juice, radish leaves juice, buttermilk with a pinch of pepper powder and black salt, are all good foods in the treatment of jaundice.
- If you wish to have milk, then add equal quantity of water to it, also add fennel seeds or half a spoon of dry ginger powder and boil the milk in an iron pot.
- Vegetables to be eaten: Radish, bottle gourd, spinach, mint leaves, coriander leaves, amla(Indian Gooseberry), tomatoes, garlic, etc.
- Fruits to be eaten: Pomegranate, ripen orange, grapes (in place of grapes, 9-10 munakke (zante currants) or 20-25 raisins soaked for at least 14 hours in water, eat them in the morning after deseeding manukke). Always remember to wash grapes at least thrice to avoid any impurities and chemicals. Seasonal papaya, dates are also good in the treatment of jaundice.
- Meals: Do not apply butter on chapatis. Avoid eating rice. Porridge could be eaten.
- Drinking barley water followed by sugar cane juice is very beneficial in Jaundice.
- Have lentils soup with a dash of black salt and pepper for good health and wellness.
- Avoid eating spices, oil and fried food for at least first 8 days.