Importance Of Yoga Everyday In Life: Paschimottanasana
What is the importance of yoga in daily life and what difference does it bring to your overall health could only be understood once you start doing it. People who practice Asanas and Pranayams on daily basis save themselves from doctors’ visits. Few days of practice makes you feel light, active, and functional. It brings vitality and remarkable improvement in immunity.In this article, we are going to discuss one simple Asana named “Paschimottanasana” that provides a wide range of benefits on both your mind and body.
The name comes from the Sanskrit words Paschima meaning “west” or “back” or “back of body” and uttana meaning “intense stretch” or “straight” or “extended”, and asana meaning “posture” or “seat”.
This asana is practiced in four stages:
- In the first stage, stretch your legs straight and swing the upper part of your body back and forth. With each swing, try to reach further with your hands, touching your knees, calves, ankles, and finally your toes.
- In the second stage, while exhaling bend forward to touch your knees with your hands.
- From the second stage above, reach further to touch your toes with your hands.
- From the third stage, try to place your elbows on the side of your knees, and touch your knees with either your nose or your forehead.
If it is not possible for you to reach to your toes due to obesity or not able to touch your head to your knees, do not give up. You will gradually reach the point within few days and do not stretch your body more than required. It is important to exhale while bending forward. Keep your legs straight and knees touching the ground. Do not let your belly touch your thighs, in fact, keep it little above your thighs.
Hold your breath out for as long as possible in the position. After that, while inhaling leave your toes and sit straight. Repeat the same procedure after a while.
- In beginning, do it for 2-3 times daily and gradually increase the time.
- Always do this asana on an empty stomach.
- Do not practice this asana if you are suffering from large spleen, swelling in intestine, appendicitis or any disease related to stomach.
- People who practice yoga on daily basis can only understand the importance of yoga in daily life. Its effects are marvellous.
BENEFITS OF THE ASANA
- It helps to remove fat around your belly and makes your waist slim and toned. It also removes fat from your thighs and makes them toned.
- It improves digestion and increases appetite. It cures gas troubles and helps in easy defecation. It helps to de-worm the stomach.
- This asana keeps your spleen, liver and intestine healthy.
- It improves blood circulation in the body.
- It keeps you happy and peaceful and also brings glow to your face.
- It is very advantageous for overcoming short temperament.
- It removes weakness and makes body healthy, firm and active.
- It cures gas trouble, diabetes, diabetes insipidus, nightfall, constipation, backache, arthritis, muscular pain, etc.
- It is a panacea for diseases like obesity, haemorrhoids, backache, etc.
- It helps to gain height.