ACID REFLUX HOME REMEDIES, ITS CAUSES AND SYMPTOMS
Acid Reflux home remedies work wonders in the condition. Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), commonly known as acid reflux, is a condition where your stomach contents come back up into your esophagus resulting in symptoms like taste of acid in the back of your mouth, bad breath, heartburn, chest pain, vomiting, breathing problems, etc.
Symptoms of Acid Reflux or GERD
The most common symptoms of GERD in adults are an acidic taste in the mouth, heartburn and regurgitation. Less common symptoms include sore throat resulting in pain with swallowing, nausea, chest pain and coughing.
GERD sometimes causes injury of the esophagus like ulcers near the junction of the stomach and esophagus, narrowing of the esophagus caused by reflux induced inflammation etc.
GERD may be difficult to detect infants and children, since they cannot describe what they are feeling. Symptoms may vary from typical adult symptoms. GERD in children may cause repeated vomiting, coughing, effortless spitting up, respiratory problems, inconsolable crying, refusing food, failure to gain adequate weight, bad breath, and burping are also common.
It is caused by a failure of the lower esophageal sphincter. In healthy patients, the angle at which the esophagus enters the stomach creates a valve that prevents duodenal bile, enzymes, and stomach acid from traveling back into the esophagus where they can cause burning and inflammation of sensitive esophageal tissue.
Factors that can contribute to GERD:
- Obesity: increasing body mass index is associated with more severe GERD.
- Increased gastric acidity due to gastrin production.
- A high blood calcium level, which can increase gastrin production, resulting in increased acidity.
- Use of drugs.
Treatment of Acid Reflux or GERD
Treatment is typically via lifestyle changes, home remedies, medications, and sometimes surgery. Here, we are going to discuss some really effective acid reflux home remedies that every individual with this problem shall try at home.
Acid Reflux Home Remedies
- Cloves: Eating one clove after every meal (lunch and dinner) treats the problems of heartburns, acid reflux and pyrosis.
- Cloves directly stimulate your digestion resulting in increased appetite. It also helps in production of gastric juices.
- It works as an antiparasitic.
- Patients with GERD shall quit tea.
- Cloves remove phlegm, treat breathing problems and helps in increasing white blood cells.
- Food to eat: cow milk, pomegranate juice, grapes, zante currants, Indian Gooseberry, figs, citrus fruits, etc.
- Food to avoid: meat, alcohol, oily and friend food, gastric foods.
- Fennel seeds: Fennel is beneficial for improving digestion and suppressing stomach spasms. It has a compound called anethole which helps to calm spasms in the gastrointestinal tract and has anti-inflammatory effects. You only have to chew one-half teaspoon of fennel seeds after meals or you can boil one teaspoon of fennel seeds in a cup of water. Let it boil for 10 minutes and then strain it. Drink it two or three times a day for a few days.
- Yellow mustard: Yellow mustard is also one of the popular acid reflux home remedies as it helps neutralize stomach acid. When acid reflux strikes, eat one teaspoon of plain yellow mustard for instant relief. You can have a glass of water afterwards.
- Eat 10 grams of jaggery after your meals. It stops releasing sour water in the mouth. It not only treats acid reflux but also prevents gas and flatulence. Jaggery helps in removing toxic elements from the body, treats mouth blisters.
- Put one organic lemon into a glass of water. It will immediately bring relief in heartburn.
- In condition of severe acidity, take 125 ml of butter milk; add 2 grams of ajwain (ajawon caraway) and half a gram of black salt to it. Drink this butter milk after your meals. This will remove gas from the body. Take it for at least 2 weeks.
- It also treats constipation.
- You should avoid eating rice, cauliflower and other gastric foods.
- Aloe-vera juice– Due to healing and anti-inflammatory properties of aloe-vera, it helps soothe inflammation in the stomach and esophagus and brings relief from the effects of acid reflux. Simply drink one-quarter cup of aloe-vera juice about 20 minutes prior to eating a meal.
For immediate treatment
Take 1-2 garlic cloves and stuff it inside a seedless zante currant (munakka). Eat it after your meals. This will immediately help you release gas from your body.